Solid Waste Frequently Asked Questions

Single stream (also known as fully commingled) recycling refers to a system in which all paper fibers and containers are mixed together in a collection truck, instead of being sorted into separate commodities (newspaper, cardboard, plastic, glass, etc).
Republic Services (859) 936-0957
It goes to a Municipal Recycling Facility (MRF) - an owned and operated facility by and in the City of Lexington.
Everything but shredded paper, it must be in a clear plastic bag. Single Stream Recycling is all about keeping the material loose.
When the material is brought into the MRF trucks dump the material on the floor. Loose shredded paper would be hard to capture, but in bags, the operators can separate and maintain the quality of the product.
OH NO! Please don’t! But if you must, call Republic Services (859) 936-0957.
Republic Services will replace any damaged or lost container. Please contact them at (859) 936-0957 to report your issue.
For collection, place the container as close as possible to the curb or roadside, NOT on the street. Make sure the container is at least 3 feet from mailboxes, parked cars, trees, light posts and the handle and lid hinge is facing your residence. Please ensure the lid is closed to prevent damage to cart(s). Place your cart out the night before and do not forget to return your cart to the house when it has been emptied.
A collection schedule has been provided with your container when it was issued. If you need another copy or if just want to review it, you can find a copy here or call Republic Services at (859) 936-0957.
This schedule applies to all residential services (trash and recycle). Republic Services will observe the following Holidays: New Years Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. Republic Services will NOT be servicing residential customers on these Holidays. Republic Services will be adjusting their service schedule by one day. For example, if the Holiday is on a Monday, the service would be as follows: Monday service will occur on TUESDAY; Tuesday service will occur on WEDNESDAY; Wednesday service will occur on THURSDAY; Thursday service will occur on FRIDAY; Friday service will occur on SATURDAY. Check the local newspaper or call Republic Services at (859) 936-0957.
Yes, you can recycle and a container should have been provided for all units in apartments or condominiums. Call your landlord or Republic Services at (859) 936-0957.
Have your landlord or apartment manager call Republic Services (859) 936-0957 and they will pick up any unused or unwanted containers.
You can put your excess material next to the container in a paper bag, cardboard box, or plastic tote. If you regularly produce more than your container can hold, call Republic Services and request another container, there is no extra charge.
The design of the new containers provides leverage to assist maneuvering. Many residents have found this makes using a cart easier than lifting a filled 18-gallon bin or box of recyclables.
Use a brick or rock to hold it down. Allowing water to get into the container can cause the paper to degrade.
No. Caps, lids, and plastic bags cannot be recycled curbside. Plastic bags can be recycled at your grocery store or Gose Pike Convenience Center.
Yes. Conserve water by using dishwater, bath water, or rainwater.
Books can be recycled at the curb if you rip off the hardcover and rip out the pages so it is not so thick and you can just drop them off whole at the Gose Pike Convenience Center, or donate to charity.
Gose Pike Convenience Center on Gose Pike (859) 238-1106 Hours: Monday – Saturday 7 AM – 5 PM
Gose Pike Convenience Center on Gose Pike (859) 238-1106 Hours: Monday – Saturday 7 AM – 5 PM
All personal documents should be shredded. Boyle County Recycle Center has a paper shredder that shreds 2 tons per hour free of charge to residents, business, industry, and schools. Call (859) 238-1116 for more information.
Waxy paper boxes are paper boxes that can be refrigerated or frozen such as frozen pizza and soda boxes. They cannot be recycled at the curb. But, you can recycle soda and beer boxes at the Gose Pike Convenience Center Pike (859) 238-1106.

© 2021 City of Danville, KY - All Rights Reserved.